You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘sewing’ category.

The Fourth of July edition: I’ve made dresses for the girls and a Fourth of July belt that I have submitted to Sew, Mama, Sew’s Make It, Wear It! Challenge. Reba and I chose the two fabrics for the pillowcase dresses last weekend and I made the dresses this week. I used a combination of two patterns: one from Make Me Pretty Designs and one from Frog Legs and Ponytail Designs. I used the measurements and instructions from Make Me Pretty Designs (which seems to take less fabric) and used the armhole templates from Frog Legs and Ponytail Designs. For the armhole binding, I did not cut it on the bias, but it worked out fine. I also used the mock french seam to finish the seams–but to do that, I changed the 3/8 inch seam allowance to 1/2 inch. For the trim edge, where I also needed to do top-stitching, I enclosed the raw edges using the flat-fell seam, pictured below.

Lillian, nearly 2, liked the dress and wore it to school already. Reba, 4, tried hers on and immediately asked for a belt. She did not like how it “puffs out” and, seeing my disappointment, said that she likes it, but that she thinks her friends might not. So she said she will wear it for Fourth of July and on “stay-home” days. Oh well. Her daddy talked her into wearing it today.Last year I made her a peasant dress, so I think I will go back to that style for her next time.

And I made Jack a Fourth of July belt, using a good tutorial. My only mistake was not following the instructions–I failed to pin the end while I was sewing the end with the fabric on both sides, and it got pushed a little off-center. Lesson learned for the next belt!


I’ve also recently completed some other projects. I made the “beach napkins” for our family’s trip to the beach so that all 14 of us will have napkins.

And I’ve finished three Oliver+S Lazy Day Skirts for the girls. Not surprisingly, Reba chose the gumdrop fabric after much deliberation at Red Hen Fabrics! She was a little disappointed in the orange ribbon that I chose for it, but I thought it was the best match. She clearly has her own ideas about design!

At the beach next week, I’ll be working on the Rusted Root, and then will think more about the quilt when I get back.

The Process Pledge